The Myriad Ways That Music Helps Make Things Better
Music isn’t just a form of entertainment. It can also be an extremely helpful and powerful tool, particularly when it comes to enhancing a mood or being able to work your way through tedious, mundane, or truly unpleasant tasks.
There is a reason that music is played in public spaces, or that many workplaces have a radio on. Movies use music in the background in order to make certain that the viewer is experiencing the proper emotion from the scene that they are viewing. Even waiting on hold is just that much more frustrating when there is dead air instead of a few tunes that you may or may not like. Your commute would feel a great deal longer without your MP3 player or car radio to pass the time.
Research on music has found that music can have an astounding benefit on improving mood, memory, and physical ability. It can ease the symptoms of depression and can help to improve a child’s mental development. These are not effects that should be taken lightly. In fact, music therapy can even help patients who are ill to be able to recover more quickly (including babies in the NICU).
Using Music to Lose Weight: Is It Possible?
When it comes to weight loss, the same can be said. Dieting and exercising aren’t typically things that people enjoy when they are forced to do them to lose weight. Sure, there are times when exercise can be fun or when eating healthy can be stimulating, but when you need to do them every single day, according to certain rules, no matter what else is happening in your life, then you can find that the battle is a little bit greater with each passing moment that you have to keep it up. This can cause a diet to fail, and it can hinder your efforts to lose weight.
Music can help you to avoid that struggle. Certainly, the right playlist won’t cause fat to miraculously disappear from your body. However, it can have a powerful impact on your motivation level and the drive that you have to keep up your efforts and reach your goal.
After seeing all of those positive impacts of music, then it shouldn’t come as any surprise that researchers have found that the right songs can also have the ability to directly impact an individual’s eating habits and ability to complete a full workout with drive and enthusiasm.
The Music to Listen to When You Want to Lose Weight
Different styles and tempos of music can help you achieve your goals, especially when your intention is to slim down and establish healthier daily lifestyle habits. Here are some examples of strategies involving music that you can implement right away:
• Put on some calming music during dinner, as it will slow down the rate at which you are chewing. The slower you chew, the more you will enjoy your food and the less you will eat. When you are satisfied by less food then you are less inclined to overeat and it becomes simpler to stick to a calorie restricted diet.
• Energetic music with a good beat to it can help you to keep up with your exercises and complete each workout without slowing down or dragging, maximizing your calorie burning.
• Listen to your favorite songs while you are in the car if you tend to feel stressed out while you are driving. This could also be a good way to unwind after a hard day at work, especially if you sing along and you let out your frustrations. Remember, stress can have a negative impact on your health and your weight, so if you can use music to let go of at least some of your stress, that is a step in the right direction.
• Turn on some music while you are getting ready in the morning, such as while you are in the shower, when you’re putting your makeup on and getting dressed, and while you are having your breakfast. Music that gets your mind awake and your body moving can help put you into a more positive state of mind, and it might even help you get your motivation high and your metabolism going strong.
• To lose weight, make it a point to get up and dance whenever you can. Whether you dance a bit in between chores around the house, you grab your kids and dance around for fun, or anything else, the idea here is to get your body moving so that you can burn more calories without having to only burn them while you are at the gym exercising.
Want to Lose Weight? Listen to the Right Music!
It’s pretty amazing to see the effects that music can have on your mind and your body -- even Lancaster Online states that music can make a difference in schools! All of this means that your music can have a direct impact on your ability to successfully lose weight, so it is definitely worth adding this strategy to your overall workout plan when you want to slim down with greater ease.